Elske enjoys meeting people who live in a world very unlike her own. People who see things from a slightly different (or very different) perspective. People who live on the fringes of society simply because they cannot or will not conform with the rest. These are the people Elske likes to spend time with and with whom she feels a strong personal connection.
Her work develops from intensive contact and insight into how someone else lives and thinks. Either she creates the work herself, or the subject does or they create something together. Her projects always feature several different points of view, as she gives her subjects space to talk about themselves. Elske is not committed to photography or another specific medium, but looks for the best way to portray the person in whichever project she is working on. The things that always shine through, however, are her optimism and admiration, humour and a love of colour.
Elske Verdoorn (1986, Leeuwarden) studied cultural anthropology at the University of Amsterdam and documentary photography at the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague.
- 2017 – ‘Elke dag verjaardag’ duo show, Nutshuis, Den Haag (upcoming)
- 2017 – ‘La Piñateria’ group show, 3M Art Foundation, Santa Marta (Colombia)
- 2017 – ‘Sudor Desconocido’ group show, 3M Art Foundation, Santa Marta (Colombia)
- 2015 – ‘X10’ by Beelddragers, group show, Volkshotel Amsterdam
- 2015 – ‘Pending’ by Mt.Figure, group show, Unseen Photo Fair, Amsterdam
- 2015 – ‘DEAR’ group show at the Royal Academy of Arts, The Hague
Publications and reviews
- ‘El mistero della co-creazione’, Marie Claire Italy
- ‘The talent issue: Ones to watch 2016’, British Journal of photography
- ‘Elske Verdoorn – Buiten de Lijntjes’, SSBA salon
- ‘Prince Mike Johnson’, Beelddragers x10
- Text “Eithel” read in WOORDENRIJK XXL; Leven in Woorden met Rabiaâ Benlahbib, Den Haag FM (Starts at 33:10).
- ‘Dansen met Cordaan’ published in Parool PS, de Verzameling.
- ‘Dear Graduation 2015’ review, Den Haag Centraal, uit de Kunst
- 3M Art Foundation, Santa Marta Colombia, jan – apr 2017
- Documentary photography, Royal Academy of Art, The Hague (2010-2015)
- Cultural anthropology, University of Amsterdam (2006-2010)
- International exchange University of Hong Kong, China (2008)